Engineering Corp.'s AG4
Safety Laser Scanner uses pulses of Class 1 infrared laser light
to locate the position of objects in its field of view, effectively protecting
personnel by safeguarding both stationary and mobile hazards within a
The AG4 safeguards irregularly-shaped areas not suitable for a standard two-or three-piece safety light screen. It is also a replacement solution for high-maintenance safety mats that are routinely damaged by repetitive operation or adverse environments. By meeting all requirements for Type 3 per IEC 61496-1/-2, Category 3 PLd per EN ISO 13849-1, and Safety Integrity Level (SIL) 2 per IEC 61508, the AG4 performs in applications including area guarding, access/perimeter guarding and automated guided vehicle (AGV) collision avoidance.
The AG4 Safety Laser Scanner operates through the principle of diffuse reflectance (reflected light) to determine an object's position via range (measured distance) and rotational angle. Once the AG4 protective and warning fields are configured, the position of the objects within the field of view are evaluated. If any are within a protective field, a safety stop signal is generated from the scanner. The AG4 can additionally be configured so that an intrusion in the warning field triggers an auxiliary output. This may be used to slow a mobile vehicle, flash a light, or initiate other actions to warn an individual who enters this field.
With a 0.36 degree lateral resolution, the AG4 detects objects in a zone up to 190 degrees from its fixed position. The AG4 provides selectable protection field resolution of 30, 40, 50, 70 and 150 mm with ranges up to 6.25 m, while its warning field provides coverage of up to 15 m. Advanced configuration capabilities allow operators to configure the AG4 with eight individual protective and warning fields. Users can quickly switch between configured field pairs, providing the flexibility to effectively protect personnel and equipment in diverse applications.
Key features of the AG4 Safety Laser Scanner include:
- Highly flexible protective and warning fields can be set to match the shape of the work area
- Simple installation and easy-to-use software
- Five LED diagnostic display presents system status and diagnostics of devices without connecting to a PC
- Eight individual protective and warning field pairs can be configured
- Configurable response time from 80 to 640 msec
- RS-232 and RS-422 PC interface connection; USB adaptor available
- System meets all requirements for Type 3 per IEC 61496-1/-2, Category 3 PLd per EN ISO 13849-1, and Safety Integrity Level (SIL) 2 per IEC 61508
- Two solid-state OSSD safety outputs (250 mA) and two solid-state auxiliary outputs (100 mA)