SABIC Innovative Plastics is
playing a critical role in the conversion of incandescent bulbs to compact
fluorescent lights (CFLs) as global requirements for energy-efficient
alternatives continue to tighten. The most recent example is the company's
high-tech Lexan* FXD polycarbonate (PC) resin, a technology chosen by OSRAM, a
leading global lighting manufacturer, to mold its new line of high-end,
retrofit CFL candle bulbs, called the DuluxstarA(R) Mini Candle. OSRAM selected
Lexan FXD PC resin for the new bulbs - which offer a much longer life and up to
80 percent lower energy consumption than conventional incandescent versions -
for its outstanding performance, aesthetics and safety.
With a new color formulation, Lexan FXD resin met OSRAM's requirements for the candle bulb:
- High-impact resistance to avoid breakage.
- Excellent light transmission for optimal brightness.
- Translucence to hide internal components and provide a soft, flattering effect.
- Maximum light scattering capability.
- Compliance with Glow Wire Ignition and ball pressure tests.
- UL94 V2 rating up to 1.2 mm.