A Consumer Electronics Show with technology design engineers can appreciate? The 2012 International CES, coming to Las Vegas in January, has it, and we've got the pictures to prove it.
I went to the CES press preview in New York on November 8. In years past, the focus was tilted heavily toward 3D televisions -- cool, but a tough sale sans decent programming -- and tricked out-laptops -- not cool, no matter how colorful the chassis.
So I was happily surprised to see a surfeit of products in the Design News sweet spot. Some of those gadgets even snagged honors in the CES "Best of Innovations" awards. Winners included the Nest Learning Thermostat, LG's blast-chilling refrigerator technology, and a wearable heart rate monitor.
Click the image below to view a slideshow of these images and more from the 2012 International CES preview:
For further reading:
- Slideshow: Messiest Engineering Desks
- Slideshow: Apple iPad 2 Teardown
- Slideshow: Garmin GPS Teardown
- Slideshow: Apple iPhone 4S Teardown
- The Samsung Galaxy teardown from DesignCon is posted here.
- The HP TouchPad Tablet teardown is posted here.