DesignCon, the nation’s largest event for chip, board, and systems design engineers, today opened registration for its 2021 conference, August 16 through 18, featuring technical paper sessions, panels, tutorials, and boot camps spanning 14 tracks to provide engineers the information they need to solve design challenges now and plan how to improve designs in the future. DesignCon’s content will be joined by Drive World and the Embedded Systems Conference (ESC) program, enhancing the event by offering learning and networking in the automotive electronics/intelligence and embedded/IoT spaces. Furthermore, the event will take place at the San Jose McEnery Convention Center, which has received Global Biorisk Advisory Council (GBAC) STAR accreditation, as a facility that knows how to prepare, respond, and recover from infectious disease outbreaks and biohazard situations.
The electronic industry is expected to boost market growth in the forthcoming years. In fact, a recent report by IC Insights, Semiconductor Units Forecast To Exceed 1 Trillion Devices Again in 2021, forecasts semiconductor shipments will grow more than 13% in 2021, setting a new all-time annual record.
“The growing adoption of electronic devices across the globe is prompting the need for engineers and technologists to gain practical insights and knowledge to engineer the next generation of products,” said Suzanne Deffree, Group Event Director, DesignCon. “We’re thrilled to be able to provide our attendees the opportunity to learn from some of the brightest engineers in the industry and connect with the most innovative companies and products.”
Featured DesignCon Speakers Include:
Cathy Liu, Distinguished Engineer, Broadcom
Dr. Cathy Ye Liu, distinguished engineer and director, currently heads up Broadcom SerDes architecture and modeling group. Previously she worked as R&D director and distinguished engineer in Avago/LSI which acquired Broadcom. Since 2002, she has been working on high-speed transceiver solutions. Prior to this, she developed read channel and mobile digital TV receiver solutions. Her technical interests are signal processing, FEC, and modeling in high-speed optical and electrical transceiver solutions. She has published many journal and conference papers and holds 20+ US patents.
DesignCon 2021 Sessions:
- Tutorial — What is FEC & How Do I Use It?
- Salz SNR & Shannon Limit Study for the Next Speed Node Beyond 112Gbps (and up to 224Gbps)
Federico Centola, Lead EMC Engineer, Google
Federico Pio Centola spent nine years at Apple as a Senior Electromagnetic Technologist. In the technology group, he developed design methodologies and tools for the Apple EMC and Electromagnetic Design groups. He worked on iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches and different iMac products. In 2017, he has joined the Platform group at Google where he works as the Lead EMC Designer. Federico Centola has authored or co-authored a number of papers and patents. He has been serving for many years as reviewer for the IEEE Transaction on EMC.
DesignCon 2021 Session:
- Analytical Prediction of EM Radiation from Stacked Trays in Data Centers
Medhi Mechaik, Sr. Signal Integrity Engineer, Amazon
Mehdi Mechaik has been working on package and board designs in the areas of Signal and Power Integrity applications for over 20 years. He has a BSc., MSc., and Ph.D. degrees in electrical and Computer Engineering, authored and co-authored over forty papers on computational electromagnetics, EMI/EMC, signal, and power integrity.
DesignCon 2021 Session:
- Predicting Emissions Properties
Mike Li, Fellow, Intel Technologies
Dr. Peng (Mike) Li is an Intel Fellow and the technologist for high-speed I/O and interconnects at Intel Corporation. He serves as Intel’s technical expert and adviser in high-speed I/O and link technology; standards; SerDes architecture; electrical and optical signaling and interconnects; silicon photonics integration; optical field-programmable gate arrays (OFPGAs); and high-speed simulation, debug and test for jitter, noise, signaling and power integrity, from deign validation, to high-volume manufacturing (HVM). Li joined Intel in 2015 with the acquisition of Altera Corp., where he had held a similar role. Before joining Altera in 2007, Li spent nearly a decade at Wavecrest Corp., culminating in his seven-year tenure as CTO. He began his career in 1991 as a post-doctorate researcher at the Space Sciences Laboratory at the University of California, Berkeley. A distinguished scientist and technologist, Li has contributed extensively to industry standards during his career, including PCI Express, Ethernet, Optical Internetworking Forum (OIF), Fibre Channel, and Serial ATA.
DesignCon 2021 Sessions:
- Tutorial — Design & Verification for High-Speed I/Os at 10 to 112 Gbps & beyond with Jitter, Signal Integrity & Power Optimized
- Panel — Interoperable Common Electrical Interfaces (CEI) & Channel Standards Update: An OIF Perspective
- Next Generation 224-Gbps Highest-Speed Electrical I/O & Link Systems
- SNDR Analysis & Its Impacts on Link Performance
- 100-G Chip-to-Module Interface Challenges & New Measurement Methodology
Mike Resso, Signal Integrity Application Scientist, Keysight Technologies
Mike Resso is the Signal Integrity Application Scientist in the Internet Infrastructure Group of Keysight Technologies and has over 25 years of experience in the test and measurement industry. His background includes the design and development of electrooptic test instrumentation for aerospace and commercial applications. His most recent activity has focused on the complete multiport characterization of high-speed digital interconnects using Time Domain Reflectometry and Vector Network Analysis.
DesignCon 2021 Sessions:
- Design Case Study for a 112 Gb/s Per Lane VSR/C2M Link Using Channel Operating Margin
- System Level Impact to 100-Gb/s Electrical Signaling Due to Common to Differential Mode Conversion
The full conference schedule can be viewed here. In addition to an expertly curated conference, the DesignCon expo will run August 17 and 18, featuring leading suppliers displaying the latest in high-speed design tools, technologies, and developments.
Featured DesignCon 2021 exhibitors include:
- Keysight Technologies
- Keysight is the world's leading electronic measurement company delivering solutions in wireless communications, aerospace and defense, automotive and energy, and semiconductor markets. Its automotive and energy solutions efficiently test cells, batteries, and power train components to optimize your HEV/EV system. Scienlab is now part of Keysight providing a wide range of simulation and test solutions across the entire e-mobility ecosystem.
- Amphenol is one of the largest manufacturers of interconnect products in the world. The company designs, manufactures, and markets electrical, electronic, and fiber-optic connectors, coaxial and flat-ribbon cable, and interconnect systems. The company has a worldwide vision of "enabling the technology revolution." Stop by Amphenol's booth to see what's new and enter a raffle for an Apple Watch.
- Rambus Inc.
- Rambus creates cutting-edge semiconductor and IP products, spanning memory and interfaces to security, smart sensors, and lighting. The company's chips, customizable IP cores, architecture licenses, tools, services, training, and innovations improve the competitive advantage of its customers. Rambus collaborates with the industry, partnering with leading ASIC and SoC designers, foundries, IP developers, EDA companies, and validation labs.
- Rosenberger North America
- Rosenberger of North America LLC is one of the world's largest producers of coaxial RF connectors and cable assemblies. The company is also a world-class producer of fiber-optic jumper cables, and it offers world-class precision machining of standard and exotic metals and ESD gaskets.
- Known as a worldwide service leader for electronic connectors and cables, Samtec Inc. has focused on leading-edge, high-speed products and services for the last two decades. The tremendous success in these areas has driven the company to further move into faster and smaller arenas. The company now provides full turnkey solutions for the entire signal chain, from IC through package, substrates, connectors, and cables.