It seems these days that everything is getting smarter, from your phone to your home to your car. Cities are no different, with major global metropolitan areas implementing a vast number of technology, energy, transportation, and Internet projects to make the metropolis a friendlier, greener, safer, and more sustainable place to be.
While a number of US cities are starting to ride the green wave, key cities in Europe and Asia are slightly ahead of the States in terms of implementing smart-city plans. But with strong efforts underway in New York, Seattle, and San Francisco, among others, the US aims to raise its global profile in terms of offering smarter and more efficient city infrastructure and planning.
Click on the image below for a look at some of the world's smartest cities, and see what they're doing to inject intelligence into the urban environment.
- The Growing Importance of Wireless Standards for the Smart Home
- 10 Ways Your Home Is Smarter Than You
- Smart-City Technology Harvests Energy From Footsteps
- The Heat Is On: Wireless Automation Technology Application for Smart Homes & Buildings
- Quintic's Chipset Is Optimized for Wearable Tech
- bRight Switch Invents Android-Powered Homes
- Smart Home Systems Are on the Rise
- CES: Nest Thermostat Aims at Smart Home
- Duke's Smart Home Signals Beginning of Green Universities
- Energy Harvesting Empowers Next-Gen Wireless Designs & Automation
- TI Offers Low-Power Converter to Advance Design of Energy-Harvesting Electronics
- Stanford Engineers Invent All-Carbon Solar Cell
- Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Cells for Remote Wireless Applications
- Open-Source Kits Put Robots in Many Hands
- SparkFun Takes Electronics to Future Engineers & Scientists
- Nanodevices Self-Assemble Using DNA
- US Army's Boot-Based Energy Harvester Lightens Soldier's Load
- Making the Case for Vertical Axis Wind Turbines
- Fraunhofer to Create Automation Process for Rotor Blade Production