HOME  |  NEWS  |  BLOGS  |  MESSAGES  |  FEATURES  |  VIDEOS  |  WEBINARS  |  INDUSTRIES  |  FOCUS ON FUNDAMENTALS
  |  REGISTER  |  LOGIN  |  HELP
<<  <  Page 4/6  >  >>
Ann R. Thryft
User Rank
Blogger
Re: Variety of water worthy robots
Ann R. Thryft   4/29/2013 12:35:19 PM
NO RATINGS
Rob, you've got it: shapes and their movements in water are extremely important, probably as much so as on land, but with a different set of requirements. The FILOSE fish robot made this clearer to me.



Elizabeth M
User Rank
Blogger
Re: Nautical Robots
Elizabeth M   4/29/2013 4:41:29 AM
NO RATINGS
Great slideshow, Ann. It's interesting to see the diversity and technology range of these robots, even while they share some features in common.

notarboca
User Rank
Gold
Re: Nautical Robots
notarboca   4/28/2013 3:23:51 PM
NO RATINGS
Nice slideshow. A very interesting range of design styles and the thought that went into them.  All the sensor payloads are a science unto themselves.  One of the most interesting facts was that one of them had a magnetically coupled powertrain; great way to keep leaks from occurring under propulsion.

jmiller
User Rank
Platinum
Re: NAUTICAL ROBOTS
jmiller   4/28/2013 2:54:04 PM
NO RATINGS
You bring to light several of the challenges designing for underwater.  Thanks for sharing.

jmiller
User Rank
Platinum
Re: NAUTICAL ROBOTS
jmiller   4/28/2013 2:51:57 PM
NO RATINGS
Interesting thought.  How many of us think about what it would be like to design for robots underwater.  We are so used to thinking about designing in air.  Quite a challenge to design for underwater.  The drag, the water dynamics.  All of that could be quite a challenge.  We'd have to all go back to some of those fluid dynamics equations.  Great thought.

jmiller
User Rank
Platinum
Re: Anti-submarine warfare
jmiller   4/28/2013 2:48:09 PM
NO RATINGS
I too have had to spend some time in a few submarines.  And I agree it must be rough.  I always wondered if there wasn't a height limit on those serving in submarines.

jmiller
User Rank
Platinum
Re: Anti-submarine warfare
jmiller   4/28/2013 2:48:00 PM
NO RATINGS
I too have had to spend some time in a few submarines.  And I agree it must be rough.  I always wondered if there wasn't a height limit on those serving in submarines.

jmiller
User Rank
Platinum
Re: Variety of water worthy robots
jmiller   4/28/2013 2:44:57 PM
NO RATINGS
Sometimes it's interesting how no matter how much we try to make things better, it's the original that performs just fine.  In some cases, I don't know if there can  be improvements, in others, I think it's the fact that the original can do 95% of the job and the other 5% aren't really missed.

 

jmiller
User Rank
Platinum
Re: Variety of water worthy robots
jmiller   4/28/2013 2:44:53 PM
NO RATINGS
Sometimes it's interesting how no matter how much we try to make things better, it's the original that performs just fine.  In some cases, I don't know if there can  be improvements, in others, I think it's the fact that the original can do 95% of the job and the other 5% aren't really missed.

 

jmiller
User Rank
Platinum
Re: Variety of water worthy robots
jmiller   4/28/2013 2:32:50 PM
NO RATINGS
I agree.  Does God's design have some unique abilities or benefits that science just can't duplicate or improve on.

<<  <  Page 4/6  >  >>


Partner Zone
Latest Analysis
A bold, gold, open-air coupe may not be the ticket to automotive nirvana for every consumer, but Lexus’ LF-C2 concept car certainly turned heads at the recent Los Angeles Auto Show. What’s more, it may provide a glimpse of the luxury automaker’s future.
Perhaps you didn't know that there are a variety of classes, both live and archived, offered via the Design News Continuing Education Center (CEC) sponsored by Digi-Key? The best part – they are free!
Engineer comic Don McMillan explains the fun engineers have with team-building exercises. Can you relate?
The complexity of diesel engines means optimizing their performance requires a large amount of experimentation. Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) is a very useful and intuitive tool in this, and cold flow analysis using CFD is an ideal approach to study the flow characteristics without going into the details of chemical reactions occurring during the combustion.
The damage to Sony from the cyber attack seems to have been heightened by failure to follow two basic security rules.
More:Blogs|News
Design News Webinar Series
12/11/2014 8:00 a.m. California / 11:00 a.m. New York
12/10/2014 8:00 a.m. California / 11:00 a.m. New York
11/19/2014 11:00 a.m. California / 2:00 p.m. New York
11/6/2014 11:00 a.m. California / 2:00 p.m. New York
Quick Poll
The Continuing Education Center offers engineers an entirely new way to get the education they need to formulate next-generation solutions.
Jan 12 - 16, Programmable Logic - How do they do that?
SEMESTERS: 1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  67


Focus on Fundamentals consists of 45-minute on-line classes that cover a host of technologies. You learn without leaving the comfort of your desk. All classes are taught by subject-matter experts and all are archived. So if you can't attend live, attend at your convenience.
Learn More   |   Login   |   Archived Classes
Twitter Feed
Design News Twitter Feed
Like Us on Facebook

Sponsored Content

Technology Marketplace

Copyright © 2014 UBM Canon, A UBM company, All rights reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Service