Des Plaines, IL--Employing the results of an extensive user survey, engineers from NTN Bearing (Mt. Prospect, IL) have developed a mounted bearing unit that combines the features that engineers need most.
Known as the Ultra-Class Mounted Unit Line, the new design can be employed in conveyors, fans, blowers, chain drives, belt drives, baggage handlers, textile equipment, mining equipment, and a variety of other applications. Like many mounted units, it can carry radial, axial, and combined loads. It also incorporates a complete housing, so it's ready to mount.
Key to the new design, however, is the combination of features requested by users. "The problem was that, until now, no one listened to the customer," says Gerry McLean, an NTN engineer.
By surveying customers, however, NTN was better able to determine user needs. As a result, the new unit incorporates:
- A sealing configuration that actively repels contaminants for longer bearing life.
- A solid base that resists cracking and dampens vibration.
- A patented ball set screw that stays 7.5 times longer than the cup point type and 30.4 times longer than the knurled point type. The ball set screw minimizes shaft housing damage, extends bearing life, and allows for quick and easy removal.
- An optimal fit between the outer ring and housing that eliminates the need for anti-rotation devices. It's also more forgiving of misalignment.
- A heavy duty pillow block housing that offers less deflection and longer bearing life.
NTN's Ultra-Class also offers simple relubrication and a durable, easy-to-read nameplate, while keeping costs in line with standard units.