R+W GmbH has been manufacturing high precision servo couplings, torque limiters, line shafting, and specialty mechanical linkage products since 1990, with a U.S. sales, service, and distribution center, in the Chicago area since 2001. With an aim to meet the needs of all users of precision mechanics, approximately 40 percent of products shipped from R+W's ISO 9001 certified facility in Germany are either completely custom or modified to meet specific application challenges. The remaining 60 percent of output is standard product, often available in 24 hours, and engineered to enable supply in all quantities at the lowest possible cost. As the fastest growing manufacturer of precision couplings worldwide, R+W is looking forward to taking on new design and supply challenges in the future as well.
The highlights of the product innovations from R+W address such issues as installation, performance, dimensions, and economy. The signature R+W product is the tapered press-fit bellows coupling, available in all sizes, which allows for a motor or gearbox shaft to axially plug into its driven shaft, eliminating the need for tedious access holes in coupling adapter flanges. The latest product development at R+W has been the first ever engineered thermoplastic servo coupling, which offers less than half the cost and mass of traditional servo insert couplings. More information on this new coupling is available in this issue of Design News. Further developments include floating line shafting, a patented backlash free torque limiter, backlash free linear thrust couplings, and much more.
In light of industry's demands for shorter cycle times, smaller footprints, maximum uptime, and anything that can make capital equipment more effective, R+W is constantly developing new ways to meet the productivity challenges of customers. Whether the goal is maximum performance, convenience, or economy, R+W has the ultimate coupling for any application. Contact R+W America at 888-479-8728 or www.rw-america.com for 3D models, sizing software, 24 hour shipments, application engineering, and more.
Truchard will be presented the award at the 2014 Golden Mousetrap Awards ceremony during the co-located events Pacific Design & Manufacturing, MD&M West, WestPack, PLASTEC West, Electronics West, ATX West, and AeroCon.
In a bid to boost the viability of lithium-based electric car batteries, a team at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory has developed a chemistry that could possibly double an EV’s driving range while cutting its battery cost in half.
For industrial control applications, or even a simple assembly line, that machine can go almost 24/7 without a break. But what happens when the task is a little more complex? That’s where the “smart” machine would come in. The smart machine is one that has some simple (or complex in some cases) processing capability to be able to adapt to changing conditions. Such machines are suited for a host of applications, including automotive, aerospace, defense, medical, computers and electronics, telecommunications, consumer goods, and so on. This discussion will examine what’s possible with smart machines, and what tradeoffs need to be made to implement such a solution.