As many as 65 percent of component suppliers are still not compliant with the European Union’s RoHS directive. This surprising figure came out of an industry roundtable convened by Electronic News last week. The group included representatives from component suppliers Actel, IDT and SST among others.
Executives noted that about 35 percent of the components industry is in compliance with RoHS, while the remaining 65 percent are in some stage of compliance. The statistic is unsettling given that any electronic product in production now will probably be distributed past the RoHS deadline, coming up in a quick 11 months.
The discussion revealed that suppliers who are up to date on compliance have been aggressively pursuing the move to green parts for many years. Actel, IDT and SST all described efforts that began three, even four years ago, suggesting that component suppliers who just began moving to compliance over the past couple years may be far behind in meeting the RoHS deadline.
Executives also confirmed the industry notion that competitors will police RoHS violators. They expect compliant companies to promote their compliance as a competitive factor and tip regulators to non-compliant competitors.