Aras, which differentiates itself as an open source provider of PLM, is looking at carving out additional new territory–this time, positioning itself as one of the first to deploy PLM technology in the cloud.
Aras, with integration provider partner Prodeos, has deployed the Aras Innovator suite in the Amazon Elastic Computer Cloud (Amazon EC2), providing the ability to instantly run the enterprise PLM platform in the cloud without any upfront capital expenditures for hardware or software or without the hassles of IT having to provision infrastructure as the PLM deployment scales.
Peter Schroer, Aras president, said Aras Innovator running in Amazon EC2 is a natural solution for global companies looking to evaluate, test and pilot the PLM solution as well as for smaller companies looking to avoid the purchase and administration of IT infrastructure to run PLM.
In support of this announcement, Aras recently mapped out its strategy for being a “cloud-ready” PLM platform. Specifically, the company laid out the following check list to support its claim of cloud readiness:
- Distributed Architecture - Partitions cleanly to separate multiple vault, database and application servers
- Virtualization - Runs on virtual servers, including Microsoft Hyper-V, VMware and Xen
- Elasticity - Capable of being provisioned automatically for dynamic resource allocation
- Scalability - Ability to run in clustered environments that enable the use of pooled compute resources as needed in real-time without intervention
- Enterprise Security - Built-in at the architecture level across all business items and components
- Network Security - Runs on http/https (port 80/443 only) connecting through firewalls without a VPN
- Federation - Entire system is web services for secure connections to other systems and services whether on-site legacy or cloud-based
- Multi-tenant - Able to run single system with different customizing and vaults for each organization
- Adaptability - Capable of highly customized data schema and business rules without complex programming, with all customizations stored within the database to facilitate multi-tenant hosting
- Upgradability - Perform major upgrades during continued operation without impacting system modifications
- License Flexibility - No licensing obstacles to deployment