SOFTWARE/HARDWARE: Giving designers working on the OMAP35x platform the opportunity to incorporate wireless connectivity technology into their portable designs, Texas Instruments Inc. introduced the availability of its WiLink™ 6.0 (WL1271) solution on the OMAP35x processor Evaluation Module (EVM). With this solution, TI is making wireless connectivity solutions available for design in a broad array of applications. One of the industry’s smallest solutions to integrate wireless LAN (WLAN) and Bluetooth® technologies in a single chip, the WL1271 solution sparks futuristic designs on the EVM through the powerful combination of TI’s OMAP™ processor and wireless connectivity. Through pre-integration and optimization, these technologies reduce design barriers for cutting-edge applications, accelerate development time, and open a new range of use cases.
Designers today use the OMAP35x EVM, powered by a 720 MHz OMAP3530 processor, to deliver enhanced experiences such as Web browsing, optimized audio and video, and productivity tools like databases, spreadsheets, presentations, and e-mail. The WL1271 solution, shipping in volume today, extends these capabilities even further with the incorporation of Bluetooth technology, and seamless coexistence between WLAN and Bluetooth capabilities that ensures anytime, anywhere connections.
Key features and benefits of the OMAP35x EVM with the WL1271 solution:
- Pre-integration into the OMAP35x EVM hardware and software
- 802.11b/g/n & Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR support
- Linux operating system support, with plans for Windows® Embedded CE support in mid-2010
- Sparks out-of-the-box WLAN and Bluetooth® applications, like Web access and headset music
- Solves coexistence challenge
- Has undergone rigorous quality control and testing which speeds time to market
- Full community support speeds debugging and development cycles
- Continued support through Adeneo Embedded, LS Research (LSR), Mistral Solutions
TI announced extended software support from OMAP Developer Network members as well as enhanced community involvement. Support from Adeneo Embedded will give customers access to real-time development technologies to incorporate software and hardware solutions based on Windows® Embedded CE.
LSR will manufacture its “TiWi” connectivity module for the OMAP35x EVM.
Mistral Solutions collaborated with TI for the development of the OMAP35x EVM and has also developed the WL1271 daughter card for this offering. Mistral Solutions leverages its expertise with the OMAP35x platform towards helping customers to get their custom devices to market.
-Edited by Kelsey Anderson