ELECTRONICS: Toshiba International Corp. recently announced it has established US-based sales and technical support for its new product, the Super Charge Ion Battery, SCiBTM. This nano-based breakthrough lithium technology is noted for its rapid charging capability of 90 percent charge in less than 5 min, long life of more than 10 years even at rapid charge rates, and excellent safety performance. The SCiBTM product line will be supported out of the Toshiba International Corporation headquarters in Houston, Texas and the SCiBTM team will focus on business development activities, battery pack design, prototyping, assembly, technical support and service.
The SCiBTM battery technology offers numerous performance advantages that make it an ideal solution for many of today’s toughest energy storage challenges.
- Inherently Safe - Advanced Lithium Chemistry Based on Nano-Technology Prevents Thermal Runaway Even Under Extreme Physical Duress
- Fast Charge Rates - Capable of Full Recharge in < 10 Minutes, 90 percent in < 5 min
- Superior life - Minimal Capacity Loss, Even After 6,000 Rapid Charge-Discharge Cycles
- Greater Usable Capacity - Up to 85 percent Usable Capacity Without Compromising Cycle Life
- High Output Performance - Equivalent Discharge Rates to those of Ultra-Capacitors
- Superb Low-Temperature Performance - Excels at Temperatures as Low as -30C
- Proven Production - Produced on a State-of-the-Art Automated Production Line
SCiBTM cells comprising the battery packs will be supplied from Toshiba’s state-of-the-art automated production line in the Saku Factory located in Nagano, Japan. Initial market development activities in the US will focus on automotive HEV/PHEV/EV, industrial lift trucks, smart grid/grid storage, medical equipment, wind and solar power, scooters and UPS market segments.
- Edited by Liz Taurasi