We bought our first dishwasher in 1964 when we bought a new house and it had a terrible design. After several problems it rusted out in about four years, and by 1982 we had gone through four dishwashers.
In 1982 we decided the GE 900 Pot Scrubber might solve our problem. Some appliance dealers advised us that the interior plastic would separate from the steel and rust out very fast. Knowing that there was not any steel in the plastic interior we decided to buy the GE dishwasher.
The GE dishwasher ran for 10 years before we had any problems. Replacing the solenoid on the water inlet valve allowed this dishwasher to work for another 11 years before my wife was complaining that the unit would no longer get the dishes clean.
I removed the unit and put it in my workshop and started taking it apart. I found the hoses and everything associated with the water pumping process was filled with soap residue that greatly reduced the spray force. I did a thorough cleaning of everything in the unit, and once again it was working great. We changed the type of detergent we used -- in hopes of improving the clogging situation -- and we occasionally ran a cleaning cycle.
After a total of 31 years of use, my wife told me (with a smile on her face) that the dishwasher was not working.
This time it did not even make any noise when it was turned on. I checked the fuse box and found no blown fuse. After separating the inner and outer part of the door I eventually found that the locking latch was not closing the power switch. As the latch is closed, part of it slides along a leaf-type spring that is bent in a shape to close two switches to turn the power on. Bending the leaf spring a little put the dishwasher in good working condition again.
My wife did not smile when I told her that it might last another 31 years.
Tell us your experiences with Monkey-designed products. Send stories to Lauren Muskett for Made by Monkeys.