When my wife and I moved the kitchen in our house to a different room, we had the luxury of remodeling without having to close our present kitchen. We felt little urgency and thought it was important to concentrate on getting it right. In choosing the new appliances, we quickly settled on Jenn-Air. We'd had good luck with a Jenn-Air cooktop in a previous house, and we liked the removable modules, which allowed quick conversion from two burners to a grill or griddle.
Unfortunately, this experience wasn’t quite as rewarding. Our first mistake was getting the new glass-top burners in black (they did look nice) instead of the conventional coils in stainless steel. Sometime later, my wife got a shock when she touched one of these burner modules.
I opened the circuit breaker to remove the module and immediately heard a distinct rattle. Knowing that this was not right, I took the module apart and found that the rivets holding the spring clips -- which, in turn, held the burners against the glass -- had corroded, and the clips were moving around loose inside the module. Apparently one had come in contact with an electrical connector, sending voltage to the module shell. For some reason this did not open the breaker, maybe because it was insulated by the paint on the module.
How Jenn-Air missed a probable failure mode is incomprehensible to me. I used small stainless-steel screws to make repairs, but soon afterwards we replaced both of our glass-top modules with the conventional stainless-steel coils.
This entry was submitted by Bernard Smith and edited by Rob Spiegel.
Tell us your experiences with Monkey-designed products. Send stories to Rob Spiegel for Made by Monkeys.