Talking of remote controls - and I’m showing my ignorance here - I didn’t know you could even have remotes for electric fireplaces…
Well, it seems there is a danger of burns. Not from the fireplaces, but the remotes themselves…
Dimplex has issued a voluntary recall and replacement programme “for approximately 700,000 plug-in remote control receivers included with certain Dimplex, Electraflame, Symphony, Optiflame, Electralog and Charmglow branded electric fireplaces, stoves and fireplace inserts.”
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, the Chinese made plug-in wall units for the remote control kits can overheat, posing a fire and burn hazard to consumers.
Its website states:
“Dimplex has received about 5,000 reports of the plug-in wall units overheating including 19 reports of damage beyond the remote control and one report of a house fire in Columbus, Ohio that resulted in considerable property damage.”
Note that Dimplex states the voluntary recall “does not in any way affect the safe operation of the electric fireplace or stove when connected without the use of the plug-in remote control receiver”.
You can read the recall info here.
This post originally appeared on Electronics Weekly.